Technical specifications of the Micro include a cube form factor measuring 7.3 inches per side, an estimated weight of around 2.2 pounds, USB-connectivity, multiple material support, a removable print bed, 50-350 micron layer resolution, 15 micron X and Y positioning accuracy. The Micro will also be compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux systems.
M3D is developing its own software for the Micro which will be designed for full touchscreen capability with a âminimalist and simple-to-use interfaceâ. According to the company, the software will allow users to search and browse objects online and organize downloaded 3D models in an in-app library; âJust pick a model, drag it into the printer, adjust the model if needed, and hit print. Software shouldnât be a barrier to 3D printing, and itâs our goal to make The Micro accessible to everyday users.â
According to the projectâs Kickstarter page, the M3d has introduced 15 different innovations with the Micro:
1. Most space-efficient 3D printer ever made.
2. Light-weight, portable design fits nicely on your desk.
3. Micro motion chip provides completely automatic leveling and calibration.
4. Most quiet 3D printer ever made.
5. Lowest power consumption 3D printer ever made.
6. Carbon fiber rods: light, sturdy, self-lubricating and long-lasting
7. Ceramic heater for rapid heat-up, power efficiency, reliability and safety.
8. Bold colors. Choose from Silver, Black, Blue, RedOrange, and Green.
9. New filament materials like Chameleon PLA.
10. Inspirational Micro filament spools.
11. Modernized touch-capable software.
12. Replaceable print beds for alternative materials.
13. Replaceable nozzles for experimenters.
14. Designed for fast assembly in the US for quality control.
15. An ABS-based print bed allows you to print larger ABS parts.
The Micro will supposedly be capable of supporting PLA or ABS at standard 1.75 mm filament spools but the company will also introduce Micro filament spools to give consumers more material and color options.
M3D has designed the Micro for assembly and production in the USA at a future production facility near the companyâs Bethesda, MD location.
Sony Announces A7s Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera With 4K Video