India is well known for its varied seasons and the monsoon is much-anticipated by all as the rains bring you a welcome relief from the scorching summer. But those in love with their electronic devices often face a lot of issues during this season as the moisture usually creates havoc with the internal circuitry or the power supply. Earlier, people used waterproof covers for their phones and gadgets to keep them monsoon-proof. But thanks to breakthroughs in science and technology, some manufacturers have launched a number of electronic devices that are not only splash-proof but can also be dunked in water. Here are some of the best monsoon-proof devices that are available in the Indian markets.
A phone is the most important gadget that you use throughout the day. As it is most frequently used, your phone also undergoes a lot of wear and tear. For a mobile phone to be called waterproof, it has to obtain an IPM (Ingress Protection Marking) rating. This rating indicates the degree of protection against dust and water. The first digit shows the level of protection against dust while the second indicates how water-resistant the particular device is. And the higher the number, the better the phone. Let us have a look at some top phones in this space.
1. SXtreo WP 61: Considered to be the most rugged smartphone available in the market, it has a rating of IP68. It is said to survive a drop from up to 4 ft as it is enclosed in a solid rubber casing.
2. Motorola: Motorola has a number of phones, such as Moto E, Moto G, and Moto X, which have a water-repellant ‘nano’ coating. This coating protects the phones from water splashes. The only issue with these devices is that they do not possess any IP rating. Therefore, dunking these phones in water would be an extremely bad idea. But due to the unique nano coating, these devices will survive the monsoon better than most other cell phones.
3. Samsung: Samsung’s waterproof devices are available in a slightly higher price bracket. Samsung Galaxy S4 Active and Samsung Galaxy S5 have a rating of IP67. They are able to withstand water at a depth of up to 1m, for about 30 minutes.
4. Sony: Sony has a variety of waterproof smartphones like Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z2, and Xperia ZR. These devices have a rating of IP58 and are able to capture pictures and record HD videos underwater.
Mobile phone manufacturers have upped the quality of their device cameras over the years. However, some of the best photography is done using a true-blue camera. Here are a few waterproof cameras available in the Indian market.
1. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT20: This camera comes with a 16.1 MP CCD sensor. It has 4x optical zoom with image stabilization that suppresses blur. It also supports HD quality recording and a 25 mm wide angle lens. This point-and-shoot camera is waterproof and goes down up to 5m. If you are looking at a camera that is good for underwater photography, this one will fit the bill. The manufacturer claims that this camera is able to survive a drop of 1.5m and can work in freezing temperature up to -10oC.
2. Nikon COOLPIX AW110: This camera is more expensive than its Panasonic counterpart and offers a couple of more features than the Lumix. This one is waterproof for up to 18m. Plus, it is dustproof and has a capability of absorbing shock up to 2m. It has an altimeter, hydro-barometer, water depth-logging, and GPS in-built. The camera has Wi-Fi functionality to transfer files. It can also be controlled remotely by a mobile phone. This is a 16 MP gadget and comes with full HD recording capacity. It also has 5x optical zoom. The unique feature of this camera is the 3 inch OLED screen that has anti-reflective coating. This coating helps visibility underwater.
3. Canon PowerShot D10: This is a 12.1 MP camera that features 3x optical zoom. This camera is water resistant for up to 10m or 33 ft. It can also absorb shock up to 4 ft. It can be used at temperatures below freezing and up to -10o C.
There are other cameras such as Nikon COOLPIX S32 and AW120, Pentax WG10, and Olympus Stylus TG-2, which are waterproof devices. Most of these cameras can record full HD videos and feature built-in GPS for geotagging pictures.
One of the best ways to keep yourself occupied while traveling is listening to music. Just because it is raining outside, you need not stop listening to your favourite pieces. But instead of ruining your regular earphones, it might be prudent to invest in some of these water-resistant or waterproof earphones.
1. H2O Audio Surge: These earphones are water-resistant and promise to deliver the best sound quality even underwater. They are waterproof for up to 12 ft or 3.6m and compatible with Apple iPod, iPhone, etc. They are also available in a variety of colors.
2. Bose SIE2i: These earphones come with hook-type ear tips that hang on the ears even if a person is running. These do not plug off the ear canal, which ensures that you aware of your surroundings even when you are jogging and listening to music. They are considered to have very good clarity and perfect for the monsoons. It is not waterproof but water-resistant.
3. AQS-02: Designed specifically for water sports, this gadget has an in-ear design feature that plugs off the ear canal. It comes with a neck band that helps keep it secure when you are involved in any kind of sports activity. This is a waterproof earphone and can be used even when you are swimming.
From waterproof watches to mp3 players, you will be able to find the perfect gadget in the Indian markets nowadays. Monsoon-proof your gadgets, so they stay dry while you enjoy the rains.
Article source: http://www.techgoondu.com/2013/12/28/goondu-review-nikon-df/